Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Expansion???????


You know what really grinds my gears? All of this expansion talk.


First off, when I watch my College Football Live during the offseason, I want to see interesting stories such as rising stars for next year and key games and matchups. I don't want to turn to ESPN every day and see some different 'expert' shed their light on the expansion situation facing the Big Ten, Big 12, and SEC (and possibly other conferences). The same topic shown every day from someone else's different and competing perspective only makes the topic more redundant.


Secondly, it makes no sense to me (does it to you? Thanks, Tim James) . The SEC and Big 12 are already dynamic and prosperous conferences, and there is much speculation that the SEC is so competitive now that the really good teams beat themselves out of contention (even though we've won the past four national championships). So what good would it be to add possibly four more teams to such a conference? I'm sorry that the Big Ten may be puny in comparison these days, and that Notre Dame is conference-less. I think at most the Big Ten should only add two to have a championship game, even though their champions don't show up come bowl season.


Finally, what will happen to the non-conference games? Will they become non-existant? I want to see how conferences stack up against each other. It's healthy to see if one conference is stronger than the other. I want to see the Saturday night lights over Bryant-Denny this fall when the Penn State Nittany Lions roll in. It's what makes college football season special, and I hope it doesn't change anytime soon.


Playoffs. That's a more interesting conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment